01 January 2014

Festivities, Food, Family, Friends…and a Fracture

Well friends, it has been a few months since my last post.

A lot has happened during that time.

As you may know from previous postings, when there is a lot going on, in my mind, heart and life…it's too much for me and I withdraw. I have been overwhelmed, disheartened and speechless. Astonished at where I have left and where I have been taken to. California is very different from North Carolina.
But God… being rich in mercy because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in our transgressions, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), and raised us up with Him and seated us with Him in the heavenly places in Jesus Christ, so that in the ages to come He might show the surpassing riches of His grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus.

God has given me encouragement, and sustained me. He has done this in His word, by His Spirit, in the Body of Christ (both far and near) in family and friends who love us, and who we love.

*******************************************

Recently we have enjoyed much feasting, festivities, family and friends.
What a great encouragement and distraction laughing and smiling is!

We have seen faces we have missed. Some for over a decade!





We have been so blessed with both friends and parents visiting. 
Coming to help us work on our house, and to make us feel loved.
 We have seen smiling faces and enjoying people we missed, 
who we did not think we would see for a long, long time. 

An example of this is below. These are two friends (sisters) who grew up across the street from me. Their house was my second home growing up, and we have all been friends since we were 5. Bob and I were just invited to join in on their family vacation for a few days and we jumped at the chance... because we COULD! 
One nice thing about being here, is we are close to many in our hearts, 
who have been many miles away in years past.


This is my second precious Mom (below) Kathy, and her daughter Cori. Sister Kim is above. 
We have all grown up! (that's nicer than saying we got old) 
Their kids are growing, some in college!
It's great to have friends who when you see, it's like no time has passed, and you pick up like you were together yesterday. I love them!






Another wonderful event was the reinstating of a grand tradition for my Mom and I.
Since 1975, my Mom has taken me to the San Francisco Opera House for the ballet of The Nutcracker. 

We have gone every year from 1975 to 2005. 
Due to distance and obligations of the farm, it was sadly put on hold.

Until this year! Woo-hoo!
Thanks Mom for a super day! 


We had a great time!





Another set of dear friends who we love, and have missed since 2004, are Jalyn and Greg. 
We sure love them and were thrilled they made the drive out to spend the day and evening with us, bringing along their two kiddos 
who we had never met!
We were all looking so forward to spending the whole day together. 

God had other set of plans. 

We arrived at the park and the kids began to play. Only 5 minutes later, precious 7 year old Jordan wiped out and broke her wrist!
OUCH!
She was a trooper though and after a few minutes we all decided the day for us to be together, was over.
We were so sad for Jordan, and for her parents who had to watch their sweet girl suffer.

In the midst of the bummers, Bob and I were super blessed. In the few minutes we had together to see Greg and Jalyn in action in a mini-crisis, we saw what a great team they are as parents. They were so loving and tender to Jordan and spoke over her lovingly of their confidence in the Lord being in control of the situation.
Their words and peaceful tone were impressive to us. 
As Greg was trying to get local hospital information, I sneakily snapped a few pix. 



I love how her non-dramatic motherly instinct is captured here. 
Protective, comforting,  compassionate, tender. 
What a great mom!


As they drove away, she said, "I'll be back for a visit…
without the kids next time. Less chance of drama." 


Lastly, in all these situations, and how the Lord has used each visit and visitor to encourage and strengthen us for our purpose here, my constant best friend and adorable husband 
is the one who makes me laugh, everyday. 
Although we are slowly gaining speed, trying to get back to our happiness in our current surroundings, I thank God we are pulling this yoke together. 
So, here he is on Christmas Day, making me laugh with a new gift. 
It may not make you laugh, but it does me, and so God continues to be the lifter of my head. 
  




4 comments:

  1. A post!!! It's so good to see pics of your new home, your gorgeous parents and friends and, of course, Bob's happy face. You are so missed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Appreciate your encouragement and words of friendship! xoxo

      Delete
    2. Loved reading this Laura. And by the way it the pic of Bob made me laugh too. Miss you tons pal. Keep posting it makes me remember just how gracious you are in your love for Christ and you long lost friends. Love,Kinde

      Delete
    3. Thank you dear Sis! Miss you too! Thank you for the encouragement…I will try and keep posting and moving forward. Love you - YSIC

      Delete