05 February 2014

Rekindling A Love of Lake Tahoe, and An Unexpected Roasted Vegetable Tart



Rekindling A Love of Lake Tahoe 



Part One 
As a child, I was blessed with parents who went out of their way to take us to fun places…often.  So often infact, that as I look back at pictures and re-live memories, I find it shocking they pulled off taking us to as many places as they did. It seemed my whole childhood was a vacation to one place or another…how ever did we find time for school?  
Growing up in the Bay Area, a frequent destination was Lake Tahoe. We went in summer, and we went in winter. We just about always rented the same place, which, upon arrival, felt familiar, like a second home. Sometimes we had family friends join us. I always had fun, and I have great memories of being in Lake Tahoe.

My parents posing in Lake Tahoe 1980



Part Two  
Fast forward to being a young adult (21), I was on a Tahoe skiing kick. I was living on my own and every weekend, I would drive to Lake Tahoe and ski. My ex-boyfriend Bob (later becoming MY Bob!) who was living in Hawaii then, had been trying to get back with me for about a year and a half. I wasn't entertaining that thought so much. But he was persistent and I agreed to meet up with him in Squaw Valley and ski for a day. He would be visiting his former college roommate Eric, who was another of my former boyfriends…(this is how Bob and I met, I was dating Bob's roommate)...(ah…yeah…that's quite a story in itself). Anyway, he would be up in the Tahoe area, and would I meet him? OKAY... I agreed. Long story short, we all (Bob, Eric and I) skied together, Bob came back to the Bay Area with me, and we married a month later. (24 years ago)



Part Three
Fast forward to the present. We live in Sacramento, and yearn for clean air and living trees, a break from sirens and the urban-ness of the city. As we renewed relationships in the area, we were invited for a dear friend and sisters, 50th birthday party. We rented a cabin (with a hot tub - woohoo!) and packed up the K9 unit and off we went for Tahoe. 





A side note: As many of you know California is in a massive drought and it has not rained/snowed in a long time, as it should be consistently doing this time of year. My husband, knowing I looooooong for the snow and real winter, has been fervently praying for snow while we would be in Tahoe. Sweet man. Well, true to the Scriptures, the fervent prayer of a righteous man, availeth much. (James 5:16) As in much snow. Yeeeesssss!


So, we are enjoying Lake Tahoe, lots of fresh mountain air, lots of clean beautiful snow, friends, relaxing, a lack of sirens, a lack of noise in general. We love it here. It's quiet and clean. We quickly agreed this is the best 2 hour investment of our time, for a get away from the city. 


Bob and the K9 Unit relaxing in the cabin after a frolic in the snow. 



A great cabin! Yay for snow!






So nice to relax!


We will be back!




Unexpected Roasted Vegetable Tart

(Kathryn, the bee is for you)

When one has to make dinner, and there isn't a plan,
sometimes the best meals come of it. 

This was the meal that came out of - me standing in front of an open fridge looking in, taking mental inventory and having no idea what was going to be our dinner. I took my veggies out, sliced them thin, broiled them for a few minutes, and let them cool…still, having no idea what I was going to do with them. 
"What else do I have?" Nothing of the usual rotation of meals that I really was able to make without a trip to the store. I just thought, well, what about a veggie tart? I have wheat, and can make a crust…may be a bit dry…I have cashews and spinach I can make a sauce with! Viola! It just came together. And I did not realize how delicious this was going to be until too late in the prep. to go back and give step-by-step photos. So, we will have to make due with what we have. I hope the finished shot is enough to encourage you to make it, because it was so stinking good. Bob took one bite and gave the ultimate compliment, which is,
 "Oooooh yeeeeaaah. This one goes on the menu." 
(The Menu is a reference to the one-day vegan cafe we hope to open.) 


Vegetable Tart
  • Slice a variety of vegetables medium thin, about 4 Cups worth
    •  (I used broccoli, sweet potato, sweet onion, garlic, carrot, cauliflower)
  • Place them on a baking sheet, drizzle or spray with olive oil, salt and pepper. Broil about 5 minutes. Let cool, and season to taste.
  • Make a single pie dough recipe. 
    • The recipe I use is basically this but I use half unbleached and half whole wheat flour, omitting the sugar, and I add flax seeds at rolling time. You know I don't measure things, so I can't give you a recipe on this ~! Sorry! Of course you can use butter if you eat it. OR easily sub with a GF crust. (Whole Foods carries them)
  • Roll out the dough - single pie size, transfer it to your baking sheet lined with parchment or sprayed. Fill it with the veggies to about 2-3" from the edges. You can pile it high. I also seasoned mine generously with my have to have spice - Trader Joe's Everyday Seasoning. It is truly delicious and addictive. Buy some, and use it on everything. 
  • Fold over the edges of the crust. You can spray it with Olive Oil if you wish, up to you.  
So, going into the oven, mine looked like this. 
And at this point, I thought to myself, "This is really going to be good. I better document it."


  • I baked it at 420 for about 30 minutes. Then I let it set 5 minutes while I made this sauce. 
Vegan Spinach Cashew Cream Sauce (to drizzle at plating)

1/2 Cup raw cashews (soaked 3-5 hrs is better)
1/2 Cup Water
1 tsp. bail
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 T. Nutritional Yeast Flakes
1 tsp. arrowroot (or cornstarch)
1 big handful Organic Raw Spinach (about 2 cups)

Blend all together in the blender (Vitamix) well, about 45 seconds to 1 minute. Should be warm.
Add water and salt to consistency and taste preference.

Mmmmmm….it was super yummy…. 
We could not wait to eat it and didn't snap a photo of the sauce on it. 






1 comment:

  1. What a fun glimpse into my sweet friends life. Your snow was so much prettier than the snow we had here. :-) The tart looks amazing and the sauce sounds so good. And the bee, I squealed just a tiny bit as I scrolled down and saw it. We're in love with roasted veggies here so I may have to degluten that recipe. YSIC

    ReplyDelete